AMIE ( Associate Membership of Institution of Engineers )Career Course »
AMIE ( Associate Membership of Institution of Engineers )
AMIE – An alternate option for getting an engineering degree.
AMIE ( Associate Membership of Institution of Engineers ) is a worthwhile alternative option for such students who are unable to pursue for an engineering degree course through a regular course in an engineering college.
The Associate Membership of Institution of Engineers ( AMIE ) Program / Examination is conducted by Institution of Engineers, India ( IEI ).
An AMIE degree is recognized as equivalent to an engineering degree by AICTE, UPSC, SSC, Central Government Departments and state governments etc. AMIE degree holder can write examinations like civil services, Indian engineering services, GATE, GRE, etc.
The candidates after earning a certificate in AMIE can choose for higher studies leading to master’s degree in engineering or any other qualification. Alternatively, these candidates can start working with government / private organizations in their respective field of specialization or become entrepreneur.
About the AMIE Institute
IEI is the pioneer body to introduce non – formal engineering education program, successful completion of which is recognised as equivalent to a degree in engineering by the government of India, the union public service commission, state governments and public / private sector organisations.
IEI with its headquarters at Kolkata operates through 18 state centres & 76 local centres located at capital and towns of industrial and academic importance all over the country.
The institution of engineers (India) was formed and registered at madras in 1920. The institution was granted a royal charter of incorporation in 1935 by his Majesty King George V of England.
The Institution of Engineers India institution is the largest professional organisation in India with a membership of over 400000.
AMIE Scheme of Examination :
Institution of engineers India offers AMIE Program in two sections – Section A and Section B.
Section A is common for all candidates. Under section b a member chooses a particular discipline of engineering program. The application forms for enrollment as senior technician (st) / technician (t) members of the institution are received throughout the year.
Sections A & B examinations of the institution are held twice a year, generally in June and in December and are termed as summer and winter examinations respectively.
A candidate wishing to appear in the institutions examination should apply first for enrollment as a member using prescribed st / t application form. If he is found eligible for Enrollment as a member, he may be able to appear in the forthcoming examination.
AMIE Eligibility Criteria for different classes of membership
For Technician Members :
A candidate can directly become technician member if he / she has a minimum qualification of a pass in the standard XII examination (45% minimum aggregate).
For Senior Technician Membership :
For selection as a senior technician member or for transfer from being a technician member to a senior technician member, candidates must satisfy the following conditions :
- A minimum age of 18 years on the date of application for selection or transfer.
- He / she should be an engineer by profession working under a corporate member or a person qualified to be elected as a corporate member. The candidate should also be striving to acquire the qualifications for corporate membership ( temporary unemployment is not an impediment to being elected ).
- The candidate should have passed a diploma examination in engineering or technology or its equivalent recognized by the council, or an examination recognized by the council as exempting from passing section a of the institution of engineers examination in the non – diploma stream.
AMIE Educational Qualification for Technician Membership :
A candidate who has passed qualifying examination with minimum 45% marks is eligible for enrolling into AMIE program.
A pass in English is mandatory and aggregate marks in physics, chemistry and mathematics should not be less than 45%.
The following examinations are considered as qualifying examination for AMIE technician membership ( the list is indicative ) :
- 10+2 or intermediate science examination with English, physics, chemistry and mathematics.
- Bachelor of Science ( B.Sc. ) Examination with physics, chemistry and mathematics.
- B.Sc. First year examination with physics or chemistry or mathematics. The candidates should have passed 10+2 or intermediate examination with English, physics, chemistry and mathematics.
- B.Sc. Degree in electronics and computer science conducted at Narmada College of Science and Commerce, Bharuch.
- First year examination of the 5 year integrated engineering degree program or pre or pre – professional examination in engineering : pre – engineering examination.
- Final examination of the two year course ( 10 + 2 + 3 system ) with English, physics, mathematics, chemistry conducted by any state board or any other board of education or any Indian university after 10 years of formal school education.
- The board of apprenticeship training admission examination, west Bengal.
- The first year B.Tech. ( education ) examination of regional college of education, Ajmer.
- B Arch Preliminary examination of Calcutta University.
- The two – year course carried out by the Indian military academy / national Defence academy, Khadakvasla and Dehradun.
- The vocational higher secondary course from the directorate of vocational higher secondary education, Kerala.
- The senior secondary school certificate examination of national open school, New Delhi.
- Diploma in : diesel mechanics – electrical instrument mechanics – surface coating technology from the board of technical examinations, Maharashtra – vocational training for fitter conducted at Sumant Moolgaonkar Engineering Institute, Kymore, Madhya Pradesh.
AMIE Section A Examination :
The AMIE section – a examination is held twice in a year – one in summer (May / June) and other in winter ( November / December ). The exams are separately designed for two streams i.e. Diploma stream ( senior technician members ) and non diploma stream ( technician members ).
The separate papers are offered for diploma stream and non diploma stream.
Section A examination is common for all those who aspire to become engineers by acquiring an AMIE Basic sciences, engineering sciences and communication are covered to prepare the candidate, after project work, to move on to section b by choosing a particular discipline from among the streams offered.
Subjects in section A examination are :
A. Diploma stream
- Engineering Mathematics
- Material Science
- Elements of Electrical Engineering and Electronics
- Elements of Computer Science
- Society, Environment and Engineering
B. Non – diploma stream
- Mathematics I
- Mathematics II
- Engineering Drawing and Graphics
- Electrical Science
- Mechanical Science
- Natural Science
- Material Science and Processes
- Fundamentals of Electronics and Instrumentation
- Computer System and Data Analysis
- Engineering, Environment and Society
AMIE Section B Examination :
After section A, the student has to complete a project work over a period of one year and only on the basis of satisfactory professional competence report, he / she will be admitted to appear for the section b examination.
This consists of 10 papers of which 7 are compulsory and 3 optional. Currently, the following branches of engineering are covered :
Chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, electronics and communications engineering, mechanical engineering, metallurgical and material science engineering, mining engineering, production engineering, textile engineering.
AMIE Test Pattern :
Each paper is 3 hours long (unless specifically mentioned otherwise in the list of subjects) the exact dates and other details regarding the examinations like the last date of submission of examination forms, etc., are announced by the institution of engineers in the ‘technicians’ journal.
Test Centers for AMIE Examination :
Examinations “section A and B” are, conducted in :
AMIE International test centers : Abu Dhabi
AMIE National Test Centres :
|Details||Group - A||Group - B||Group - C|
|Last date for receipt of filled - in application forms||28.01.2011||17.05.2011||17.06.2011|
|Date of All India Common Entrance Examination||07.02.2011||27.05.2011||26.06.2011|
|Examination Time||10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.||10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.||10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.|
In addition. Section A Both Diploma and Non – Diploma examination are held in :
|1.||M.B.A||Finance, Marketing, Insurance & Banking and Human Resource Management||Bachelor Degree or equivalent|
|2.||B.B.A.||Finance, Marketing, Insurance & Banking and Human Resource Management||10 + 2 or equivalent|
|3.||P.G. Diploma in Management||Business Management||Bachelor Degree or equivalent|
|4.||Diploma in Management||Business Management||10 + 2 or equivalent|
Job prospects for AMIE Courses :
AMIE degree holders have almost similar job prospects as BE / B.Tech degree holders.
Since, AMIE degree is awarded to practicing engineers on completion of section b examination, often an AMIE degree holder represents an unique blend of experience and basic qualification and depending upon the quality of experience and the knowledge gained while pursuing this examination, an AMIE degree holder can have a good career in the engineering field of his specialisation.
AMIE Contact Information :
For any further details, readers may contact the AMIE institute at :
The Institution of Engineers (India),
8 Gokhale Road,
Kolkata – 700 020,
Email : email@example.com,
Website : www.ieindia.org.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.