Career in Library and Information ScienceCareer Course »
Career in Library and Information Science
Librarianship as a profession provides a variety of employment opportunities. Today there are a number of career prospects in Library and Information Science. The qualified professionals are employed in various libraries and information centers. Trained library professionals can find opportunities for employment both as teacher and as a Librarian.
In fact, it is possible to choose the kind of library to suit one’s interest and background.
In Librarianship, designations could be Librarian, Documentation Officer, Assistant Librarian, Deputy Librarian, Scientist ( Library Science / Documentation ), Library and Information Officer, Knowledge Manager / Officer, Information Executive, Director / Head of Library Services, Information Officer, and Information Analyst.
- In School, College, Universities.
- In Central Government Libraries
- In the Training Centers of Banks.
- In National Museum and Archives.
- In NGOs working in different areas.
- In R & D Centre like ICAR, CSIR, DRDO, ICSSR, ICHR, ICMR, ICFRE, etc.
- In Business Houses.
- In Foreign Embassies and High Commissions.
- In International Centers like WHO, UNESCO, UNO, World Bank etc.
- In the libraries of Ministries and other Government Departments.
- In National Level Documentation Centers.
- In Library Networks.
- In the Newspaper Libraries.
- In News Channels.
- In the Libraries of Radio Stations.
- In the Databases Provider Firms.
- In publishing companies for preparing Index, Abstracts, Bibliographies etc.
- In various digital library projects like ‘Digital Library of India’ etc.
- In Training Academies.
The role of libraries in providing widespread and inclusive access to knowledge is widely acknowledged. In today’s context, libraries have to play two distinct roles – to serve as a local centre of information and knowledge, and be a local gateway to national and global knowledge.
Some of the issues under consideration of National Knowledge Commission are :
- Institutional Framework of Libraries.
- Education, Training and Research.
- Modernization and Computerization of Libraries.
- Maintenance of Private and Personal Collections.
- Staff requirements to meet changing needs.
This commission has recommended the formation for the National Library Commission to strengthen the Library networks in India. The Department of Culture ( DoC ) has proposed setting up a National Mission for Libraries ( NML ) as a Central Sector Scheme.
The NML will cover libraries under the DoC and the activities under it will include :
- National Census of Libraries.
- Modernisation including networking of Libraries under DoC.
- Establishing Knowledge Centres and Digital Libraries.
Recently under National Mission for Libraries there is a proposal for establishing 7000 libraries having computers with internet facility across the country. It was recommended that the initial recruitment should be direct at the level of library and Information Assistant. The qualification requirement would be graduation and BLISc degree. Thus, the scope of librarianship becomes brighter. Career in LIS is multidimensional, ever growing bright and significantly enriching the knowledge base of the society for prosperity and progress.
Courses in Library and Information Science :
- Certificate Course in Library and Information Science ( CLISc or CLIB ).
Eligibility : 10+2
- Diploma Course in Library and Information Science ( DLISc or DLib ).
Eligibility : 10+2
- Bachelor in Library and Information Science ( BLISc or B.Lib ).
Eligibility : Graduate in any discipline from recognized University.
- Master in Library and Information Science ( MLISc or M.Lib ).
Eligibility : BLISc or B.Lib from recognized University.
- M.Phil. in Library and Information Science.
Eligibility : MLISc or M.Lib from recognized University.
- Ph.D in Library and Information Science.
Eligibility : MLISc from recognized University.
Course nomenclature and qualifying marks in different courses differ from university to university. Earlier the subject was called library science but now due to information explosion professionals handle information. So library science is changing into information science. A few universities have incorporated this word in the course name but not removed the word library.
So some universities provide degree i.e. Bachelor in library and Information Science ( BLISC ), and Masters in Library and Information Science ( MLISc ), M.Phil in Library and Information Science and Ph.D in Library and Information Science and some provide degrees like Bachelor in Library Science ( B.Lib ), and Master in Library Science ( M.Lib ), M.Phil in Library and Information Science and Ph.D in Library Science.
The Computer and Information Technology is now being widely used in libraries and information centers to process, store, retrieve and disseminate information. NISCAIR under the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research ( CSIR ), New Delhi conducts a two – year program leading to the award of Associateship in Information Science ( AIS ) and the Documentations Research and Training Centre ( DRTC ) at the Indian Statistical Institute ( Bangalore ) offer Associateship in Documentation and Information Science ( ADIS ).
This award is also recognised as equivalent to MLISc degree. These two courses enjoy a good reputation in the employment market. In view of the increasing use of computer and information technology in libraries, several universities in India also have started various courses focusing primarily on information technology and computer.
Universities offering Courses in Library and Information Science :
There are about 80 University Departments offering the LIS Courses. This Course is also available through distance learning mode.
Two Sanskrit universities, viz., KS Darbhanga Sanskrit University ( Bihar ), and Sampuranand Sanskrit Vishvavidyalaya ( Varanasi ) offer Pustakalaya Vigyan Shastri ( 9 months ) and Granthalaya Vigyan Shastri ( One year ) Courses respectively. Knowledge of Sanskrit Language is an essential requirement. LIS are available in the following Universities / Institutes :
|107||Analytical Ability||60||60||1 hour|
Salaries in Library and Information Profession :
The salary varies depending upon the nature of the organizations. Many colleges and universities have adopted UGC scales of salary for the library staff.
The library staff in the constituent units of large establishments of the Central Government, such as Council of Scientific and Industrial Research ( CSIR ), Defence Research and Development Organisation ( DRDO ), Indian Council of Agricultural Research ( ICAR ), Indian Space Research Organisation ( ISRO ) enjoy salary scales similar to those applicable to scientific staff.
Opportunities for upwards mobility based on assessment of performance at intervals, make the job attractive. Persons possessing good academic record and adequate skills in computer and information technology, can look forward to a rewarding career in this profession.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.