Career in Travel, Tourism & Hospitality – Eligibility
Those seeking an entry into the field can either join a travel agency or a tour operating company or take up a, position in a government department or corporation. New entrants are given on-the-job training. However, a basic diploma in travel and tourism management will be advantageous. Students of 10+2 can pursue a Diploma of Bachelor’s degree programmes in hotel management to gain professional training. Most hotel management institutes test students though a written examination on English, reasoning general science and general knowledge, followed by a group discussion and interview. The final year of the courses sees students specializing in their area of interest and aptitude whether it be front office, food and beverage, housekeeping or food production, all of which are major department in a hotel.
Operations, engineering, security, marketing, public relations finance and IT are other department to specialists that these openings to specialists in these respective spheres. Each department has its own precise tasks and provides necessary training in the initial years to equip the fresher.
Status of Hospitality Management Education in India
In India currently there are 13937 managers, 20707 super-visors and 128077 staff, all 3 categories totaling to 162721 employees in 1722 star category hotels ( from 1 to 5 star deluxe ) in the hotel industry in India. There is a requirement of about 15000 additional trained persons in the star category hotels in India, which includes about 2700 managers, about 2500 supervisors and about 1000 staff member and supervisor categories which totals to 5200 and will be filled by 3 to 4 years diploma and degree holders In 1 star, government approved / unapproved hotels, restaurants and other catering establishments, it is estimated that there is an additional requirement every year for about 7500 diploma / degree holders in the country and about 15000 – 20000 one – year certificate holders.
Where To Study :
- National Institute of Tourism & Hospitality Management, Hyderabad.
- National Council for Hotel Management and Catering Technology, New Delhi – 110 012.
- Delhi Institute of Hotel Management, New Delhi.
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology & Applied Nutrition, Goa – 403 521.
- State Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology, Tamil Nadu.
- Amity School of Hotel Hospitality, NOIDA ( UP)
- Institute of Hotel Management, Gujarat.
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology & Applied Nutrition, Meerut.
- Oriental School of Hotel Management, Kozhikode – 673 004.
- Indian Institute of Hotel Management, Kolkata.
- North Eastern Regional Institute of Management, Guwahati.
- OSHM – A Centre of Excellence in Hospitality Studies, Kerala (Affiliated to Calicut University)
- Madras Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Chennai.
- Institute of Advanced Management, Kolkata – 700 064.
- International Institute of Hotel Management, Kolkata – 700 091.
- Guru Nanak Institute of Hotel Management, Kolkata – 700 114.
- ASIA Pacific International School of Hotel Management, Kolkata – 700 064.
- Institute of Hotel & Tourism Management (EST. 2002), Jallandhar.
- Institute of Hotel & Restaurant Management, Kolkata – 700 150.
- Golden Regency Institute of Hospitality Management, West Bengal – 721 657.
- Durgapur Society of Management Science, Durgapur – 6.
- Pailan School of International Studies, Kolkata – 700 104.
- Institute for International Management& Technology, Gurgaon (Haryana)
- Skyline Institute of Travel & Tourism , New Delhi.
The list is indicative.
In addition to these there are many Indian Universities, also various institutions which provide Diploma / Degree Courses in Travel and Tourism Management in many states of India.
|CUSAT Exam Centres|
|For First Degree Programs ( B.Tech., and 5 year Integrated M.Sc. in Photonics ), the CAT will be conducted on All India basis with test centres in New Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai,
Chennai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Jamshedpur, Allahabad, Lucknow, Ranchi, Varanasi, Kota,
Nagpur, Ahamedabad, Port Blair and all the district head quarters of Kerala. For BBA / LLB ( Hons ) the CAT will be conducted at Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Bangalore and Chennai, apart from the test centres in Kerala.
|For PG Programs : The CAT will be conducted at all the district head quarters of Kerala and
at Delhi, Kolkota, Mumbai, Bangalore and Chennai provided the number of candidates opting for these centres is above 100.
|Lateral Entry Test will be conducted only at Cochin Centre. The DATs are conducted in the University campus by the individual Departments / Schools / Centres of the University. The dates of
these tests will be announced separately.
Finally, Choose a career not for money, fame or glamor it seems to offer, but only if you are passionate about it and feel certain that it will help you realize your true potential.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.