Biography of G Madhavan Nair
Dr. G. Madhavan Nair is the former Chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation ( ISRO ).
Dr. G. Madhavan Nai was Born in Neyyattinkara, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala on 31st October, 1943 Dr. G. Madhavan Nair graduated in Engineering from the Kerala University in 1966 and after training at Bhabha Atomic Research Center ( BARC ), Mumbai, he joined the Thumba Equatorial Rocket Launching Station ( TERLS ) in 1967.
Dr. G. Madhavan was responsible for charting the road map for future development of ISRO’s activities, especially in the launch vehicle area targeting low cost access to space. He has accomplished 25 Successful Missions during his tenure of six years as Chairman, ISRO / Secretary, DOS.
G Madhavan Nair Career
He is also the President of International Academy of Astronautics ( IAA ) – the only Indian and non – American to head IAA; Chairman of High Power Committee, National Civil Aircraft Development; and the Chairman of the Board of Governors, IIT – Patna.
As Chairman of ISRO, Dr Madhavan Nair directed the development of space technology and its various applications to solve the problems of man and society in India. Under his leadership, 25 successful missions have been accomplished such as INSAT, Resourcesat, Edusat, Cartosat, Hamsat, Program of PSLV and GSLV launch, the Chandrayaan – 1 and Oceansat.
He has given major thrust in implementation of application programmes such as tele – education, telemedicine and disaster management support systems for meeting the needs of society at large. A scheme for Village Resource Centres through satellite connectivity is implemented targeting multiple services in a single window, which aims at improving the quality of life of the poor people in the villages.
Awards by G Madhavan Nair
He has won several awards such as National Aeronautical Award, FIE foundation’s Award, Shri Om Prakash Bhasin Award, Swadeshi Sastra Puraskar Award, Vikram Sarabhai Memorial Gold Medal of the Indian Science Congress Association. He has also received Gold Medal from the Prime Minister at the 94th Indian Science Congress at Chidambaram in 2007. The nation has honoured him by conferring Padma Bhushan in 1998 and Padma Vibhushan in 2009.
1. Dr. Madhavan Nair has been conferred with Degree of Doctor of Philosophy / Degree of Doctor of Science ( Honoris Causa ) from the following universities :
- Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar ( 2003 )
- Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati ( 2004 )
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi ( 2004 )
- Indira Gandhi Open University, Delhi ( 2005 )
- Rani Durgavati Vishwavidyalaya, Jabalpur ( 2005 )
- Cochin University of Science and Technology, Kochi ( 2006 )
- University of Mysore ( 2006 )
- Cochin University of Science & Technology ( 2006 )
- Rajiv Gandhi Technological University, Bhopal ( 2007 )
- University of Kerala ( 2007 )
- SRM University, Chennai ( 2008 )
2. Dr. Madhavan Nair has been conferred with Honorary Doctorate from the following universities :
- Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur, Chattisgarh ( 2009 )
3. Dr. Madhavan Nair has been conferred with Honorary Degree of Doctor of Science from the following universities :
- Karnataka University, Dharwad ( 2009 )
- Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai ( 2009 )
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur ( 2009 )
- North Eastern Hill University, Shillong
- Vishvesariah Technological University, Belgaum ( 2010 )
- Ch. Charan Singh University, Meerut ( 2010 )
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.