Fisheries Sector in India
Indian Fisheries Sector
- India is the third largest producer of fish and second largest producer of inland fish in the world. Fisheries sector occupies a very important place in the socio – economic development of the country.
- It has been recognized as a powerful income and employment generator as it stimulates growth of a number of subsidiary industries and is a source of cheap and nutritious food besides being a foreign exchange earner.
- At present, the fisheries sector is a source of livelihood of over 11 million people engaged fully, partially or in subsidiary activities pertaining to the sector.
- Fish production in the country has increased from 0.75 MT in 1950 – 51 to 6.5 MT in 2005 – 06 which is expected to become 7.0 MT in 2006 – 07.
- Fishing, aquaculture and allied activities which is a source of livelihood to over 14 million people as well as a major foreign exchange earner, in 2005 – 06 contributed about 1 % of the total GDP and 5.3% of the GDP from agriculture sector.
- The geographical base of Indian marine fisheries has 7516 km coastline, 2.02 million sq.km of Exclusive Economic Zone including 0.5 million sq.km of continental shelf and 3937 fishing villages.
- There are 189 traditional fish landing centers, 59 minor fishing harbors and 6 major fishing harbors which serve as bases for about 280000 fishing crafts.
- Export of marine products will be raised to $ 4 billion by 2010 from the present $ 1.6 billion, according to ministry of commerce.
- The government is also committed to increasing employment potential to 4 million. As per the official estimates 3.5 million additional employment opportunities would be generated in the next 5 – 6 years.
Among the major markets, the European Union continued to be single largest market with 29% share followed by US with 23%, Japan with 16% and China with 12% market share.
South – East Asia and West Asian countries were the other major buyers. Among the Ports, Chennai retained its first position by exporting 19% followed by Kochi ( 17% ), JNP ( 16% ) and Vizag ( 15% ).
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.