India Population Policy 2000
- The National Population Policy 2000 provides a policy framework for advancing goals and prioritizing strategies during the next decade to meet the reproductive and child health needs of the people of India.
- This new policy states that the objective of economic and social development is to improve the quality of lives people lead to enhance their well being and to provide them with opportunities and choices to become productive assets in society.
- The immediate objective of this new policy is to address the unmet needs of contraception, health infrastructure, health personnel and to provide integrated service delivery for basic reproductive and child health care.
- The medium term objective is to bring the total fertility rates to replacement level by 2010.
- The long term objective is to achieve a stable population by 2045.
- In pursuance of these objectives, 14 National Socio – Demographic Goals are formulated to be achieved by 2010. The important goals of this category are :
- Making School Education compulsory and to reduce dropouts.
- Reduce infant mortality rate to 30 per 1000 live births.
- Reduce maternal mortality rate to below 100 per 100000 live births.
- Promote delayed marriage of girls.
- Achieve 80% institutional deliveries.
- Prevent and control communicable diseases.
- Promote vigorously the small family norm to achieve replacement levels of TFR ( Total Fertility Rate ).
- The policy speaks about the formation of National Commission on Population under the chairmanship of Prime Minister to monitor and implement population policy and to guide planning implementations.
- Policy also suggests some promotional and motivational measures to promote adoption of the small family norm. The important measures are :
- Reward Panchayat and Zila Parishads for promoting small family norm.
- Incentives to adopt two child norms.
- Couples below poverty line, having sterilization with not more than two living children will be eligible for health insurance plan.
- Strengthening abortion facility scheme.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.