South America Continent Countries
- The major part of Canada has Taiga and Tundra types of climate. Wheat is the most important crop here.
- It is the fourth largest continent of the Earth. It is situated west of Atlantic Ocean, East of Pacific Ocean, South of North America and North of Antarctica.
- The longest mountain ranges of the world, Andes, are located on the western coast of South America.
- The largest river of the world, Amazon, flows through South America.
- The highest waterfalls of the world, Angel Falls, are in Venezuela in South America. They are on Orinoco River.
- The highest freshwater lake of the world, Titicaca, is in Bolivia in South America.
- Major deserts are Atacama in Chile and Patagonia in Argentina.
- Llanos and Campos are the Savanna grasslands in South America.
- Selvas are the equatorial rainforests of Amazon basin.
- Cinchona trees are found in South America which are used to make quinine, the medicine used to cure Malaria.
- Though the official language in most of the countries is Spanish, the official language of Brazil is Portuguese.
- Countries in descending order of size are Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Columbia, etc.
- Countries in descending order of population are Brazil, Columbia, Argentina, Peru, etc.
- Trans-Andean railways connect Buenos Aires and Valpariso.
- The highest peak of South America is Mt. Aconcagua (6959 m.).
- Kourou, the French satellite launching station, is in French Guyana in South America.
- Driest place on earth is Iqique in Atacama Desert, Chile.
- It is the 5th largest country in the world in terms of population and also in terms of area. It is about 2.5 times the size of India.
- Brasilia is its capital while Rio-de-Janeiro is the largest city.
- Brazil is also known as the ‘Coffee Pot of the World’, because it is the largest producer of coffee.
- Brazil has the world’s largest reserves of iron ore in Serra dos Carajas hills.
- Most mineral rich state of Brazil is Minas Gerais.
- Brazil is the only country through which both equator and one of the tropics (Tropic of Capricorn) passes.
- Brazil is the homeland of Rubber.
- It is the second largest country of South America.
- Buenos Aires is its capital.
- Christianity and Judaism are the major religions while Spanish is the major language.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.