- Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) was established in 1958 to provide a solid base to the national security system.
- DRDO formulates and executes programs of scientific research, design and develop new weapons required by the Armed Forces.
- Integrated Guided Missile Development Program (IGMDP) was launched in 1983 in which the following missiles have been developed.
- Surface to surface missile with a short range of 150 km with 1000 kg warhead and 250 km with 500 kg warhead.
- Surface to surface intermediate range ballistic missile (IRBM) with a range of 1000 km – 2500 km.
- Surface to surface missile with a range of 25 km.
- Third generation ‘fire and forget’ anti – tank missile with a range of 4 km.
- Surface to air missile with a range of 500 m to 9 km. It is being developed for all the three services.
Future Missile Projects :
- Surya : Inter – continental missile with a range of 5000 km.
- Sagarika : Cruise missile (launched from sea) with a range of 100 km.
- Astra : Air – missile, with a range of 60 – 100 km, can be launched from any fighter plane.
- Dhanush : Inter – continental missile which is designed and formulated by the Indian Scientists under the guidance of Dr. Abdul Kalam.
Other Defence Achievements :
- MBT – Arjun : India’s Main Battle Tank (MBT) has been designed and developed by DRDO. It has Global Positioning System (GPS) to facilitate to find its position.
- Lakshya : It is the Pilotless Target Aircraft (PTA).
- Nishant : It is the Remotely Piloted Vehicle (RPV) for the surveillance purpose.
- Tejas : Smallest, light weight, single – engine, single – seat, multi – role, fourth generations combat aircraft the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA).
- Warship Nilgiri : India launched the first of its indigenous stealth warship ‘Nilgiri’ recently. It is built at Mazgaon Dock, Mumbai.
- Pinaca : It is a lethal ground based multi – barrel Rocket Launcher weapon system. It has a range of 39 km and has a capability to fire up to 12 rockets within seconds.
- Saina : It is a modern Tarpedo developed by Naval Science and Technology Laboratory, Vishakhapatnam. It can be launched from both helicopter and ship.
- BRAHMOS : It is a cruise missile jointly developed by India and Russia. It has a range of about 300 km and can deliver payload of 300 kg over 3 times the speed of sound. The name Brahmos has been derived from Brahmputra river of India and Moskva river of Russia.
- AWACS : Air – borne warning and central system is an aircraft fitted with sophisticated radar system. It is radar on move.
- Phalcon : It is an AWACS developed by Israel. India and Israel signed a deal in July 2001 for the supply of 3 phalcon AWACS, Barak and super Barak surface to surface missile and Air Surveillance Radars.
- Stealth Technology : It is a technology that makes an aircraft invisible or less visible to radars by making use of paint coats that make surface of aircraft less reflective and absorb the electro magnetic waves produced by radars. The DRDO has developed stealth technology which reduces radar image upto 70%.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.