Biography of Nafisa AliGeneral Knowledge »
The versatile personality, Nafisa Ali was the National swimming champion.
The daughter of the well-known Indian photographer Ahmed Ali, son of S. Wajid Ali and brother of Zaib-un-Nissa Hamidullah, Nafisa Ali is a social activist who hails from India.
Nafisa Ali has a distinct identity of being achieved many honors in several fields. This national swimming champion for the period of 1972-1974 also won the Miss India title in the year 1976. She was also the runner-up at the Miss International contest held in the year1977.
During the period of 1979, Nafisa Ali was also a jockey at the Calcutta Gymkhana. This versatile personality has also acted in several Bollywood films.
Among them the most notable ones were being Junoon (1979) with Shashi Kapoorand Major Saab with Amitabh Bachchan (1998), Bewafaa (2005) and the most recent being Life In A… Metro (2007) and a Malayalam film called Big B (2007) with Mammootty.
Action India, an organisation working to spread AIDS awareness is privilaged to have support of her. She is actively associated with the organization. She has also stepped into the arena of politics and contested for the 2004 Lok Sabha elections.
But Nafisa Ali proved to be unsuccessfull. She stood from South Kolkata. She was appointed the chairperson in September of the year 2005, of the Children`s Film Society of India (CFSI).
Nafisa Ali comes from a very distinctly dissimilar theistic background and environment. Her husband is a renowned Polo Player and Arjuna Awardee. He is presently involved in the construction business.
Nafisa Ali has also studied Vedanta that was by taught Swami Chinmayananda. Swami Chinmayananda started the center Chinmaya Mission of World Understanding.
- Inter School Athletic Champion, 1973-1974
- An outstanding athlete – National Swimming champion of India in 1974
- Miss India 1976
- Crowned 2nd runner up at “Miss International” in Tokyo in 1976.
- Worked actively for the welfare of Army Jawans for fifteen years while her husband served in the Indian Army.
- This committed social worker is continuously working for the welfare of others and has given her time for charitable causes in entirety.
- She is First woman, Chairperson of `Women`s Commission Indian Olympic Association`.
- She has been the Executive Member of `Umang Charitable Society` and Chairperson of `Action India` Trust.
- `When Cyclone struck Orissa causing large-scale destruction and devastation, Nafisa Ali began Orissa Cyclone Relief fund. She took part whole-heartedly in relief works in cyclone-affected state of Orissa in cash and kind. Relief material in the form of food material, blankets, clothing and other essential requirements were provided to the survivors of the cyclone.`
- On 26th January, 2001, when the earthquake in Gujarat struck, actualizing the modality need for immediate relief in the shelter sector, she took up the issue of reconstruction of homes, worked in 48 villages in Kutchh area and constructed 340 huts for the earthquake affected villages. The largest of the structures built by her was a Maternity & Child Care Centre at New Dudhai, Gujarat.
- In Riot affected Gujarat she worked in an active manner, for the cause of peace and religious harmony working in the troubled areas. A heart touching documentary film on riot-affected Gujarat by the name `Where did we go wrong` was made by her. The film was sent to all opinion makers of the country.
- In the field of HIV/AIDS prevention, awareness and care she has worked actively. A documentary film titled “United Against AIDS” was made by her.
- A Care Home was started by her named- `Ashraya` for people infected and affected with HIV/AIDS. The Care Home provides holistic care and support to HIV positive people.
- As a government nominee she was on the Board of Laxmi Bai College and Delhi Public School, Indirapuram.
- She has worked in a staunch manner having a strong mass appeal, for the ideologies and beliefs of the Congress Party. She has served as the Executive Committee Member – Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee.
- `As an activist she has fought high-level corruption scams, taking to the streets to endorse the various movements such as, for the lack of power high altitude clothing during the Kargil war, coffin scams, proving the defense deals need to be accountable.`
- At various forums she has raised her voice for communal harmony.
- She was Chairperson, Congress Human Rights Commission (South Delhi)
- She contested from the 23-South Kolkata Parliamentary Constituency under Congress nomination in General Elections, 2004 against Mamata Banerjee, President Trinamul Congress. She lost the elections but played a vital role in ingeminating the secular sentiment and Congress ideology across the West Bengal through the extended media exposure she got. As she put it “It would have been a miracle had I won”.
- She was the Official delegate of India at the Forty Ninth UN Summit on the Status of Women held in New York in March 2005.
- As the Chairperson of Children`s Film Society of India, the Government of India has appointed her for a period of three years w.e.f. September 2005. CFSI is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India. Her role- Chairperson is to facilitate production, exhibition and promotion of Children`s films in India.
- She is a Board Member of the `Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, in the category of `Persons of Eminence Connected with Films & TV, Education, Journalism, Literature, Fine Arts, Dramatics, Performing Arts etc.`
- As a Non-Banking Director in a nationalized bank viz. Indian Bank for a period of three Year, She has been appointed by Government of India.
This very dedicated and hardworking social activist, with extensive experience in the area of health, women and child rights, poverty and social development, Nafisa Ali is working in a systematic or consistent manner one behind the other with NGOs across the country reaching out to the masses.
Tried to make a significant difference in the lives of the marginalized and underprivileged.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.