Legislative Assembly [Vidhan Sabha]
- Also known as Lower House, just like the Lok Sabha.
- Consists of directly elected representatives.
- Has a term of 5 yrs but can be dissolved by the Governor earlier. Term can be extended by one year during national emergency.
- The Council of ministers is collectively responsible to the Assembly. The Chief Minister is the leader of the house.
Consists of not more than 500 members & not less than 60 members.
The strength varies according to the population of the State concerned.
Same as that of Lok Sabha or Legislative Council except that the minimum age is 25 yrs.
Speaker / Deputy Speaker
Every Legislative Assembly chooses its two members to be the Speaker and Deputy Speaker.
Their functioning, resignation, removal procedures are exactly the same as the Speaker / Deputy Speakers of the Lok Sabha.
]With reference to Money Bill, the position is the same at Union and State levels: the Bill can be introduced only in the Assembly; the will of the Assembly prevails; and the Assembly is not bound to accept any recommendation by the Council which may at the most withhold the Bill for 14 days from the date of its receipt.
In case of Ordinary Bill, the only power of the Council is to interpose some delay in the passage of the Bill for a period of three months at the most.
Ultimately the will of the Assembly prevails and when the Bill comes to the Council a second time the Council can delay it for not more than a month.
There is no provision of joint sitting for solving differences between the two Houses.
In the case of a Bill originating in the Council, the Assembly has the power of rejecting and putting an end to it forthwith.
Powers of State Legislature
- Can legislate on subjects contained in the State List as well as Concurrent List.
- Exercise control over State expenses.
- Exercise control over State Council of Ministers (can even remove it by passing the no – confidence motion).
- Participates in the election of the President.
- Has a share in the Amendment of Constitution as some provisions can be amended after ratification by the legislatures of half of the states.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.