IFAS Research Scholarship in Humanities and Social Sciences 2011, South Africa
Call for Funding Application 2011 Honours, Masters, Doctoral, Post – Doctoral students, Senior Researchers
Study Subject : Humanities and Social Sciences
Employer : IFAS
Level : Honours, Masters, Doctoral, Post – Doctoral Students, Senior Researchers
IFAS – Research would like to remind research teams, researchers and students in the Human and Social Sciences working on Southern Africa, that all applications for the financing of research works, events, field trips or publications for 2011 must imperatively reach us by email.
All applications will be considered. However, research in line with that of the Institute will be an advantage. As a reminder, we list hereunder our four current focus areas. No conditions of nationality apply.
This call is therefore clearly intended to elicit projects from researchers from both Europe and Southern Africa.
Beyond the themes indicated below, Southern African researchers willing to submit projects of a comparative nature (between Southern Africa and Europe) requiring fieldwork in France are welcome.
The 3 essential eligibility criteria are :
- An existing or potential scientific partnership between France and Southern Africa, and with Francophone countries when applicable; if in doubt the applicants may contact IFAS to be put in touch with researchers likely to collaborate with them
- An overall budget of less than 40 000 South African Rands or 4000 euros;
- Financial participation from another institution (details of which should be provided in the project).
1. Southern African Cities : Urban Dynamics and Governance
Issues of security, privatization of public services, local government and the adoption of “best practice” models, participation, migration and xenophobia, historical development of Southern African cities, spatial justice and the right to the city.
2. Democratic Transformation in the Region
- Mapping of electoral dynamics, party politics, republicanism;
- Law and transformation : constitutional changes, protection of minority rights, equity policies; human rights regime, refugee & asylum regimes, citizenship and its transformation, challenges posed by right of access to basic services;
- Democracy and the media including the challenges of E – government and digital democracy;
- Education and transformation : school and nation – building processes, language policy, higher education transformation, elite formation.
3. Long Term Perspective on the History of People’s Settlement in Southern Africa Multidisciplinary knowledge of Middle and Late Stone Age; past and current migration trends in the field of history, archaeology, rock art, socio – anthropology, linguistics, current issues of memory and the celebration of history in contemporary Southern Africa
4. Comparative Developments Economics
Formal / informal labour, economic policy development, governance, effects of liberalisation on Southern African economies, sector – focused studies, SADC – NEPAD – EU relations, critical and comparative approaches to development economics, in particular to sustainable development issues (such as environmental justice).
Scholarship Application Deadline : 30th November 2010.
For further scholarship information and application please visit : http://www.ifas.org.za/research/index.php
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.