SAAO – ASSA Scholarships 2011, South Africa
Undergraduate Scholarship in South African Universities
The South African Astronomical Observatory – Astronomical Society of South Africa Scholarships for 2011 are announced.
The purpose of the SAAO – ASSA Scholarship is to encourage current or intending undergraduates (i.e. 1st, 2nd or 3rd year) studying for a B.Sc. degree at any university in South Africa, who have a stated interest in astronomy, to prepare for furthering their interest. Applicants must be resident in South Africa.
The value of each SAAO – ASSA Scholarship for 2011 is five thousand rand. One quarter of this amount will be paid be to the Scholarship holder to assist with expenses and prescribed book purchases, and the rest will be paid into the holder’s university fees account.
The holder will automatically be considered for the SAAO – ASSA Scholarship in future years, until completion of the B.Sc. degree, subject to good progress being made.
Applications must be submitted to the below before 15 January 2011. There is no standard application form, and the following items must be submitted :
- A covering letter by the applicant, including CV, and a statement of interest in Astronomy, giving reasons.
- A statement of the applicant’s intended course of study (full details of subjects and modules, and their costs) for 2011, and if possible and relevant, for the remaining years of undergraduate study.
- A statement or proof that the applicant is resident in South Africa.
- A statement that the applicant either has no other bursary or scholarship, or where the applicant has a scholarship or bursary, the amount, source and conditions.
- A copy of the applicant’s final official results, whether matric or university, from the previous year of study (this will be 2010, unless there are unusual circumstances).
- A recent letter of support from a lecturer or teacher.
- Full contact details, including e – mail, postal address, cellphone and landline numbers.
Applications and queries may be sent to the e – mail : email@example.com or to the following address :
Astronomical Society of Southern Africa,
c/o P0 Box 9,
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.