The Simon Nicks Sustainability Scholarship, South Africa
Masters scholarship in any of the one of the following (or related) areas : Engineering Architecture City & Regional Planning Urban Design Environmental and Geographical Sciences Economics in University of Cape Town
The Simon Nicks Sustainability Scholarship has been established to provide support to Master’s students who strive towards the promotion of the environmental sustainability agenda and who will register for a full – time MPhil degree at the University of Cape Town, in one of the following (or related) areas : Engineering Architecture City & Regional Planning Urban Design Environmental and Geographical Sciences Economics
Sustainability Scholarship Eligibility and Academic Criteria :
- Preference will be given to South African citizens, although applications from students from the SADC countries will also be considered.
- Applicants must have achieved at least 65% for the 4th or final year or the Honours degree.
- Applicants must have at least two years working experience in the general area of the proposed study (as detailed above).
- Applicants must be accepted (or provisionally accepted) by the academic department, and have secured a supervisor in the department in which the study is to be carried out
Conditions of Award :
The successful candidate will be required to :
- register for full – time study in the relevant department. comply with University’s approved policies, procedures and practices on postgraduate funding.
- repay to the University of Cape Town the value of the award should he / she deregister or if satisfactory academic progress is not be made, or if any of the conditions of award are not met.
- meet with the sponsor of the scholarship for discussion and to provide regular reports on the study being undertaken.
The University reserves the right not to make any award and / or to change the conditions of award.
Value and Tenure of the Sustainability Scholarship :
- The value of the Simon Nicks Sustainability Scholarship is R20,000 per annum.
- The sustainability scholarship will be tenable for one year.
- Renewal of the award may be considered for one further year, dependent on satisfactory academic progress and availability of funds.
Application Procedure for Simon Nicks Sustainability Scholarship :
Applicants are required to :
- Write a letter of application outlining the intended study and how she / he intends to influence policy regarding global, national and local environmental issues, and how he / she will use the study in her / his career in the future.
- Please note that the Application Letter must be limited to 2 A4 pages. Submit a CV of no longer than one A4 page.
- The VC must provide detail of previous studies, previous employment and evidence of leadership roles in both of these areas.
- Attach a certified copy of all academic transcripts (University only)
- Attach a certified copy of SA identity document or passport Attach 1 letter of reference from an Academic who has taught her / him at University
- Attach at least 1 letter of reference from a previous employer (specifically from the Employer from whom the relevant study – related experience was gained).
- Provide a letter from the Course Convenor / Head of Department indicating that she / he has, or is likely to be accepted by the department for study in 2011.
Selection Procedure for the Sustainability Scholarship :
Selection will be made by a sub – committee of the Postgraduate Studies Funding Committee, in consultation with the sponsor.
Applications must be submitted to the Director, Postgraduate Centre & Funding Office, University of Cape Town, by no later than 15th January 2011.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.