Sarah Beanland Memorial Scholarship, New Zealand
Sarah Beanland Memorial Scholarship for PhD study in the areas of earth, physical, biological and social sciences, New Zealand
This is a prestige Scholarship for PhD study in the areas of earth, physical, biological and social sciences specified below. It is open to both men and women, and is tenable at any university in New Zealand.
The Sarah Beanland Memorial Scholarship is in memory of Dr Sarah Beanland who died in a tramping accident in June 1996. Sarah’s enthusiasm, commitment and intellectual ability were an inspiration to all who knew her.
She demonstrated superb skills and enthusiasm for integrating geology and geophysics to address tectonic problems. Sarah graduated from the University of Otago and Victoria University of Wellington and conducted most of her work at GNS Science.
Sarah Beanland Memorial Scholarship Selection Criteria :
The Sarah Beanland Memorial Scholarship shall be awarded to the student
- who best demonstrates, through excellence in their achievements to date and their proposed research, that they are likely to make in their career a significant contribution to research of relevance to New Zealand in fields covered by GNS Science – possible fields include, but are not limited to, geophysics, geology, social science, geomicrobiology, isotope science, nanotechnology, ion – beam physics, and non – invasive scanning
- whose project best promotes collaboration between a New Zealand university and GNS Science – applicants should approach potential supervisors, at their preferred university and at GNS Science, to discuss possible projects before preparing their applications.
Sarah Beanland Memorial Scholarship Eligibility Criteria :
It is required that
- the recipient shall follow a programme of PhD study involving presentation of a thesis at a New Zealand university
- the research shall be in a field of interest to GNS Science and of relevance to New Zealand
- there is collaboration between GNS Science and the university; this would normally be shown by a GNS Science staff member being a supervisor of the student, and the student’s intent to spend time each year at GNS Science in Lower Hutt, Wairakei, or Dunedin.
The Sarah Beanland Memorial Scholarship will normally be awarded to one student each year with a maximum tenure of three years. The award will comprise a stipend of NZ $ 26,000 p.a., university fees up to NZ $ 7,000 p.a. (incl GST), and expenses up to NZ $ 4,000 p.a. (incl GST).
Application Procedure for Sarah Beanland Memorial Scholarship :
There is no prescribed application form. Each application should include :
- a statement of the intended research,
- the applicant’s curriculum vitae and academic record,
- a letter of support from the university where the PhD study is planned, and
- the names and email addresses of at least two referees.
Applications close each year on 20 October, and should be sent, preferably by email, to :
Dr Desmond Darby, Chairman,
Sarah Beanland Memorial Scholarship Selection Committee,
GNS Science, P.O Box 30368,
Lower Hutt 5040, New Zealand.
Fax : (04) 570 4600
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.