APA – AIA Minority Scholarship Program, USA
Minority Scholarship of Archaeological Institute of America
The Joint Committee on Minority Scholarships of the American Philological Association (APA) and the Archaeological Institute of America (AIA) invites applications from minority undergraduate students for a scholarship to be awarded for Summer 2011.
The purpose of the APA – AIA Scholarship is to further an undergraduate’s preparation for graduate work in classics or classical archaeology.
Eligible proposals might include (but are not limited to) participation in summer programs or field schools in Italy, Greece, Egypt, etc., or language training at institutions in the U.S, Canada, or Europe. The maximum amount of the award will be $ 3,000.
Candidates will be judged on the basis of :
- their academic qualifications, especially in classics, including demonstrated ability in at least one classical language, or in fields that prepare a student to become an archaeologist,
- the quality of their proposal for study particularly as preparation for a career in classics or archaeology, and
- financial need. The application must be supported by a member of the APA or the AIA, and a statement must be included indicating that this is an appropriate candidate for the purposes of this APA – AIA Scholarship.
The receipt deadline for applications is December 15, 2010; results will be announced by the end of January 2011. Applications must include :
- a letter describing the applicant’s career goals and plans for summer 2011, with a prioritized list of programs applied to;
- an undergraduate transcript;
- two letters of recommendation by faculty members or other professionals who have worked with the applicant during the past two years (at least one must be an APA or AIA member).
Note : Under the classification “minority” we include African – American, Hispanic – American, Asian-American and Native – American students. Applications should be submitted to the APA Office in Philadelphia at the address below.
For application forms or further information, please go to the Committee’s web page (http://apaclassics.org/index.php/awards_and_fellowships/individual_award) or contact the Co – Chairs of the Committee for 2010 – 2011 :
14 E. Cache La Poudre St,
Colorado Springs, CO 80903.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.