The Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship
The Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships are designed to encourage original and significant study of ethical or religious values in all fields of the humanities and social sciences, and particularly to help Ph.D.
Candidates in these fields complete their dissertation work in a timely manner.
In addition to topics in religious studies or in ethics (philosophical or religious), dissertations appropriate to the Newcombe Fellowship competition might explore the ethical implications of foreign policy, the values influencing political decisions, the moral codes of other cultures, and religious or ethical issues reflected in history or literature.
Eligibility for The Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship
- be candidates for Ph.D. or Th.D. degrees in doctoral programs at graduate schools in the United States. Candidates working on D. Min., law, Psy.D., and other professional degrees are not eligible.
- be able to fulfill all pre-dissertation requirements by the application deadline, including approval of the dissertation proposal, and expect to submit completed dissertations by summer 2012.
- be in the writing stage of the dissertation. Usually, this means that fieldwork or other research is complete and writing has begun by the time of the award.
- have never held a similar national award for the final year of dissertation writing. Applicants who have won such awards as the ACLS, AAUW, Ford, MacArthur, Mellon, Pew, Spencer, or Whiting fellowship are not eligible.
- plan to write on topics where ethical or religious values are a central concern.
- have never applied for the Fellowship before. Previous applicants may not apply.
The Newcombe Fellowship selection process is highly competitive, and reapplications are not allowed.
If you have not completed enough work on your dissertation to present a compelling case for it, or to convince the selection committees that you will be able to finish within the 12-month tenure of the award, you should postpone your application for another year.
Application deadline for The Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship : November 15, 2010
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.