Nieman Fellowship in Arts & Culture
Nieman Fellowships provide U.S. and international midcareer journalists with an opportunity to study for an academic year at Harvard, to step back from deadlines, renew their intellectual curiosity and enrich their understanding of the topics they cover.
Fellows take part in many journalism-oriented seminars, workshops and conferences, and benefit from the opportunity to spend a year with reporters and editors from around the world.
Please note :
Harvard does not have a journalism school and Nieman Fellows do not receive academic credit or degrees for their work. The fellowships also do not offer journalism training or work experience.
Eligibility for Nieman Fellowship :
Candidates nominate themselves by submitting an application and supporting materials. There is no age limit and no educational prerequisite for a Nieman Fellowship.
- You must be a citizen of the United States. (If you have dual citizenship, please contact us at email@example.com)
- You must specialize in Arts & Culture reporting.
- You must have five years of full-time or freelance professional journalism experience.
- This is a minimum requirement; typically journalists selected as Nieman Fellows have had an average of 12 years’ experience.
- Work you have done as a university student or for a nongovernmental organization will not fulfill this requirement.
- Your professional experience must be with the news or editorial departments of newspapers, wire services, radio or television stations or networks, online publications or magazines of general public interest.
- Photojournalists, editorial cartoonists, columnists
and broadcast producers are also eligible to apply.
- We will not consider candidates in public relations or in organizations that do not produce general-interest news.
- Your employer must give you a leave of absence for the academic year (10 months).
- Within the past two years, you cannot have participated in a fellowship or leave of absence from your work that lasted four months or longer.
All your application materials, including letters of recommendation, must be sent to the Nieman Foundation at the address on the bottom of this page and must be postmarked by Jan 31.
If any of the information related to your application changes after the deadline, please e-mail us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org
Pages 4, 5, 6 and 7 of this application form, completed, dated and signed
Work samples as described on page 3 of this application.
Two essays :
• One personal statement of 1,000 words or less that describes your journalistic
experience, career plans and aspirations, and experience as an arts reporter
• One proposal for study at Harvard of 500 words or less that discusses your proposed subjects or fields of study (but not specific course titles)
These essays are very important parts of your application. We carefully evaluate them to understand your accomplishments and your potential. We are particularly interested in examples and details that show you have a significant capacity for growth and leadership.
We also want to know specifically how a year at Harvard will help make you a better journalist.
We also require four confidential letters of recommendation :
• Two from people familiar with your work who can comment on your journalistic abilities and potential
• One from your organization’s publisher, editor, manager or director supporting your application and granting you a nine-month leave of absence if you receive a fellowship
• One from your immediate supervisor commenting on your qualifications Freelance journalists should have four people familiar with their work write letters.
Please ask the people who write your letters to tell us specifically how your abilities and experience make you an outstanding candidate for a Nieman Fellowship.
Tell the people who recommend you to mail one copy of their letter directly to the Nieman Foundation at the address below in time to be postmarked by Jan 31 2010.
Class of 2012 Arts Fellowship Applications,
One Francis Avenue,
Cambridge MA 02138-2009,
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.