NEA Literature Fellowships
Through fellowships to published translators, the Arts Endowment supports projects for the translation of specific works of prose, poetry, or drama from other languages into English.
We encourage translations of writers and of work which are not well represented in English translation. All proposed projects must be for creative translations of literary material into English.
The work to be translated should be of interest for its literary excellence and value. Priority will be given to projects that involve work that has not yet been translated into English.
Competition for fellowships is rigorous. Potential applicants should consider carefully whether their work will be competitive at the national level.
We Do Not Fund
- Individuals who previously have received three or more Creative Writing or Translation Fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts.
- Individuals who have received any Creative Writing or Translation Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts within the past five years.
- Scholarly writing. (Writers who are engaged in scholarly work may wish to contact the National Endowment for the Humanities.)
- Work toward academic degrees.
You are eligible to apply if you, alone or in collaboration, have :
- Published a total of at least 20 pages of translations of creative literature into English in literary magazines, anthologies, or books; or
- Published a translation into English of a novel or a volume of at least 20 pages of fiction, poetry, drama, or belles-lettres (creative nonfiction, criticism, and essays); or
- Had presented or produced by a professional theater company at least one full-length play that you translated into English.
Deadline and Announcement Dates
Applicants must submit their applications electronically through Grants.gov, the federal government’s online application system.
The Grants.gov system must receive your application no later than 11:59 p.m., Eastern Time, on January 6, 2011.
The Arts Endowment will not accept late applications. The Grants.gov Contact Center is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Do not expect notification of awards and rejections before August 2011. The Arts Endowment’s support of a project may begin any time between November 1, 2011, and November 1, 2012, and extend for up to two years.
National Endowment for the Arts · an independent federal agency
1100 Pennsylvania Avenue NW,
Washington, DC 20506.
Application Form Submission 16 Dec 2020 to 16 Jan 2021.